The 2017 competition dates are:
Opens: 09th January 2017
Closes: 30th April 2017 – Last email by 24H00 – (Standard time zone: UTC/GMT +10 hours.) No late entries will be accepted.
Short listed awards will be notified by 20th June 2017.
Winners will be announced at the CYA Conference held on 1st July 2017. Prizes will be mailed if winners are unable to attend the conference.
- All writers/illustrators who are 8 – 18 years old (as at 30th April 2017) worldwide, who have not been published in book format within the CYA genres.
- All entries must have a parent or guardians electronic signature of permission on the entry form.
- Contest entry may not be contracted or published in any form when entered.
How to submit entries
All entries are lodged electronically. Illustrations, graphic novels and illustrated picture book entries to use mail address below.
- Make sure you have read the Category requirements (Aspiring, Hatchling or Published), Preparing Your Entry and Checklist sections before submitting your entry.
- All entries electronically submitted. Includes payment via PayPal/credit card only. No cash or cheques.
- Illustrations ONLY sent to: CYA Conference, P.O. Box 275, Bribie Island, Queensland, 4507, Australia.
- All entries will be automatically acknowledged by email on receipt to the primary email address specified in the entry. Invoices are emailed out at the time of payment being completed.
- Paper copies (illustrations only) must be received by 27th June 2017.
Since 2007 everyone has received their score sheets back, to give some feedback and to help improve their entries for the next competition they choose to enter, or submissions to publishing houses.
These will be returned no earlier than 31st August. CYA will announce the date that the sheets are sent out via our newsletter and social media.
As has been done in previous years – If there are not enough entries into a single section, the section will be consolidated with another similar category in this competition.
This will be done at the organisers discretion.
Judges decisions are final, and no correspondence will be entered into.
If you shortlist, your entry goes in front of a professional editor.
ALL illustrations go in front of a professional editor.
Other important info
- Do not identify yourself on the contest entry.
- All results will be published on the CYA Conference web site.
- Each written entry must be original work, unpublished nor accepted elsewhere for publication or broadcast.
- Each illustration entry must be original work, but photocopied or computer printout only, unpublished nor accepted elsewhere for publication or exhibition.
- All writing entries will be destroyed after the competition, and the electronic files deleted.
- Illustrations will be displayed on the CYA web site and physical copies may be retained to display at future conferences.
- Illustrations are not returned.
Special Note from co-ordinators
This competition is designed to help authors and illustrators get ready for the submission process to publishing companies. So send in your best effort, checked for spelling errors and edited. Make sure your entry follows the guide lines (print just as a publishing house has guidelines), do everything in your power to make that entry arrive in a neat condition — appearances count!
If you have any questions you can contact us on: email@example.com