CLOSES 30th JUNE 2012
Displacement and the need to belong are things we often feel during the course of our lifetime.
We might feel these things because we have moved to a new country, town or school. It could be because relationships have changed within our own family – our parents have a new partner or we have to go and live with someone else. Something traumatic or different could have happened in our lives to make us feel like we no longer belong in the same way we used to. It could be that our whole society has changed for some reason. (The Hunger Games)
There have been so many fabulous books written for kids on the subject of belonging and displacement. Books like Morris Gleitzman’s (Boy Overboard and Girl Underground), Amra Pajalic’s (The Good Daughter), Wendy Orr’s (Nim’s Island and Raven’s Mountain) and Susanne Gervay’s (Ships in the Field) just to name a few. Many books in the fantasy genre also fall into this category – books like Harry Potter.
Our Second Quarter writing competition is now open and the THEME for this competition is belonging and displacement. Your submissions must be fiction but they can be in any genre (although picture books are excluded from this particular competition).
This is a FREE competition so no entry fee is payable.
Entries will be accepted in the following categories:
- Children aged 8 to 12
- Teens aged 13 to 17
- Adult category aged 18 and over
Unfortunately due to the large number of entries we have been receiving, entries are now limited to one per person
Once again, prizes awarded in each category will include books and 5 page manuscript assessments.
All children and teens who enter will receive a certificate even if they are not a major prize winner.
Please make sure your submission follows these guidelines:
* Submissions must be no longer than 500 words
* Do not include your name anywhere on the submission but please include the name of the story
* All entries must be in the following format:
- 12 point type…Arial or Times Roman
- Double spaced (between the lines)
- A4 sized paper
- 3cm margins all the way around
* Please email your submission to Dee*at*Deescribe*dot*com*dot*au
* All emails should include the following information in the subject line:
- Name of writer
- Name of story
- age category being entered
- “Belonging story submission”
This competition closes 30th June, Australian time
Happy writing and good luck:)