The theme for our final quarter is ‘Journeys‘.
Once again we’ll have some fabulous books and manuscript assessments as prizes.
WRITING & SUBMISSION TIPS
- Try to show the reader what’s happening through action and dialogue rather than telling them.
- Try and keep your tenses consistent – if you start writing in past tense (we had, she ran etc), keep this consistent throughout your story.
- Make sure you ‘double space’ your entry.
- Avoid using clichés
- Include as much conflict and action as you can.
- Try to introduce your main character straight away and allow your reader to connect with them and want to follow their journey.
- ALWAYS follow submission guidelines.
PLEASE READ THESE COMPETITION GUIDELINES CAREFULLY
Entries will be accepted in the following categories:
- Children aged 8 to 12
- Teens aged 13 to 17
- Adult category aged 18 and over
Unfortunately due to the large number of entries we have been receiving, entries are now limited to one per person.
PRIZES & CONDITIONS
Children & Teens
- The winner will receive a book and a 5 page manuscript assessment.
- ALL children and teens who enter will receive a certificate even if they are not a major prize winner.
- The winner will receive a 10 page manuscript assessment valued at $50
- Certificates will be awarded to the top place getters.
- Additional manuscript assessments may be awarded at the judges’ discretion.
Special conditions for adult entries
- A $10AUD entry fee applies. You can pay this through PayPal by going to the Writing shop page http://writingclassesforkids.com/products/
- Please include your payment ID number with your entry form.
SUBMISSION GUIDELINES FOR ALL ENTRIES
Please make sure your submission follows these guidelines:
* Submissions must be no longer than 500 words. They can be a complete story or just a part of one.
* Do not include your name anywhere on the submission but please include the name of the story.
* All entries must be in the following format:
- 12 point type…Arial or Times Roman
- Double spaced (between the lines). To double space your work, select it and go to the format menu, select paragraph and choose ‘double line’ in the ‘line spacing’ box.
- A4 sized paper
- 3cm margins all the way around
* Please email your submission to Dee*at*Deescribe*dot*com*dot*au
* All emails should include the following information in the subject line:
- Name of writer
- Name of story
- Age category being entered
- “Journeys story submission”
This competition excludes picture books and poetry.
This competition closes on 31st December 2012.